Tuesday 31 December 2013

2013's caching in review

So, another year over; but it wouldn't be complete without my annual 'Caching In Review' post. This year, I set myself the goal to get 2000 finds, grab 100 more Wrighty caches and find more than 510 caches throughout the year, all whilst beating stats records along the way. How did I do? Quite frankly, not well. Firstly, though, let's take a look back on the caching year as a whole... 

It all started with an epic hike up two peaks in the Brecon Beacons, and finished with  a cracking CacheWalker. In between, I can firmly say that we did not complete a single poor series this year: each one was only selected if the series had a considerable amount of favourite points and/or I could see evidence of positive reviews. Consequently, I have thoroughly enjoyed every caching trip this year... Therefore, this year has been more quality-focussed, rather than quantity-focussed. I've found some very memorable caches, and the highlight, for me, was finding five 5/5s in a single day - previously, I had embarrassingly found none. No surprise, I can confirm that my Cache of the Year for 2013 is "Below Above - Fallen Monarch" ( GC2GAMT ) - It was difficult choosing just one of these caches, but I chose this one as there was more to see (workmen's tools, interesting graffiti, a crane etc) in comparison to the other caches. Also, your first 5/5 is always going to remain more memorable than those which follow after, this was also my reasoning behind selecting it. 

Now, back to those goals: I reached 1555 finds, meaning I found 229 caches throughout the year. I doubt I found even 20 Wrighty caches, let alone 100. I would say that the only stat-related thing I achieved was filling in more squares in my D/T grid thanks to more unique caches, such as the Below Above's. But don't think for one second that I'm disappointed! I've had a blast, and I feel even more welcome in the caching community as I've continued to help CacheWalker grow, and joined several other groups/forums, and attended their respective events. I have even been out in to the field with caching friends on several occasions, which, always, adds to the enjoyment. 

So, what does 2014 hold caching-wise for Griff Grof? Well, I'm going to push forward to 2000 as fast as I can (will probably kick off the year with a series of 46 caches,) and I might even push myself to find 1000 throughout year - it's been an ambition from mine from the start... little and often might to the trick - thankfully, I've got plenty of unfound local caches! However, I will NOT compromise on quality for quantity - choosing destinations by favourite points and positive reviews will continue - not sure how good the series of 46 is, though - it's only new! I'm also hoping to beat my current Geofrenzy by finding 100+ caches in a day, fill in more of my D/T grid and calendar and beat any other stats-related records set. Finally, I hope to attend as much events as I can... I haven't been to many this year! 

So, watch out! Griff is back, and he's here to stay - 2014 will be a good one. 

Happy New Year to you all!

Griff Grof

No comments:

Post a Comment